First Annual QCA Conference of the Americas
April 6–8, 2022
University of Houston—Downtown
Houston, Texas, USA
Call for Abstracts
With this call, we are soliciting paper and poster presentations of empirical applications as well as theoretical and methodological work advancing the configurational-comparative perspective. The general theme of ACQA is: How does the configurational-comparative perspective generate novel insights into causally complex phenomena? With this broad umbrella in mind, some possible topics we are eager to explore include but are not limited to the following:
- What are the latest developments in QCA, both theoretically and methodologically? How can we best move forward the knowledge frontier in configurational-comparative analysis?
- What are the differences in how QCA has been used across disciplines and fields? What novel insights might this generate about our ability to understand configurational phenomena?
- What are some of the key challenges for practitioners in applying the configurational-comparative lens? What developments would advance the use of QCA in applied fields?
- How do our current theories need to be adapted to better incorporate a configurational-comparative perspective? What changes in our thinking and theorizing does this require?
- How can QCA be fruitfully combined with other methods, including statistical and qualitative approaches? What are the tradeoffs and synergies?
Regardless of your field or topic, if you use QCA and/or other configurational-comparative methods or if you are considering using them, then AQCA is for you. Whether your work is empirical, methodological, or theoretical; whether you are a seasoned practitioner or have just discovered the configurational-comparative approach, we hope that you will join us for three days of lively discussions, debates, community building, and learning.
Events and Activities
Reflecting the diversity of the QCA community and to encourage broad participation, AQCA is an in-person conference with hybrid elements.
- Keynote addresses
- Paper presentations
- Panel discussions
- QCA Training
- Opening reception
- Coffee breaks and lunches
- Juried in-person poster session
- Closing reception
- Juried virtual poster session
|Standard rate||Students and those w/financial need|
|Before March 1||$250 in-person|
|After March 1||$300 in-person|
Venue, Travel, and Lodging
AQCA2022 is being held at the University of Houston—Downtown (1 Main Street, Houston TX 77002, USA). The fourth largest city in the United States, two airports serve Houston: George Bush Intercontinental (IAH) and William P. Hobby (HOU). Hobby is smaller but both are close to the venue; fly into whichever best accommodates your schedule.
Due to the uncertainty caused by the pandemic, we have not reserved a hotel block. Downtown Houston has a variety of hotels to choose from, depending upon your personal preferences and budget. Choose one that is within walking distance of Main Street, so that you can take the light rail directly to UHD’s dedicated light rail stop.
Recommended hotels include but are not limited to:
|Courtyard by Marriott||Hotel ICON|
|Club Quarters||Hyatt Regency|
|Holiday Inn Express||Westin|
A limited number of travel grants and registration waivers will be available for graduate students and others needing financial support. Details for applying will be available when registration opens. In order to maximize the support that we can provide, please exhaust your institution’s financial support before applying for support from the conference.
We are actively seeking sponsors who can provide additional financial support for conference attendees; if you would like to support the travel grant program, please contact Claude Rubinson.